Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Why I Have Earned A Sticker Today

Things I did by my big-girl self:

1. Visited the library's special archives collection, leafed gently through a Charles' Dickens Bleak House part issue, communicated for 20 minutes with a young Nigerian man about what pages I wanted copied, then copied those for a class of 18.

2. Tried a cashew chicken wrap, which tasted like wet garbage.

3. Yelled at the ridiculously expensive vending machine for sucking away the Dr. Pepper money I put in it.

4. Taught a class of 20 students who stared at me as though they did not realize they were, indeed, in college.

5. Explained to a student that yes, turning in all your stuff late will inevitably affect your participation grade. (His succinct argument? "But...I did it. Just late.")

6. Realized with ten minutes left to go before my presentation that my officemate had accidentally absconded with my copies. Found a line at the copier. Prayed, did a small rain dance, and fell on the mercy of the lady in front of me so that I was able to make copies.

7. Did a superlative presentation on sanctioning construction, the subordination of image to text, and the perceived infallibility of writing in BH.

8. Fought off the Migraine from Satan's Own Personal Store of Surprises.

9. Made intelligent comments about anarchism, scientific Marxism, and literature without my head exploding.

10. Drove an hour and forty minutes home to the first food I'd seen (at 9 pm) since lunch.

I want a sticker. Right now.

- b -

No comments: