Thursday, February 8, 2007

Once more unto the breach!

Since it is officially Futurama quote day, I'll leave the following as an offering and a tribute to the cataclysmic collaboration between Jason and I:

[George Foreman's talking head]: "This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot-tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be - but I think the entire Earth was destroyed."

We'll hope synergy doesn't birth armageddon by accident.

In the meantime, my purview is naturally going to be a bit different from the one boasted by the post-pomo-philosopher-poet we all know and love. I'm a Romanticist at heart (my Ph.D. candidacy is in the field), a medieval scholar in spirit, and a reader of critical theory and philosophy - as well as an avid anime watcher, a visual kei fan, a current student of French, and a writer of Delightful Genre Novels That Will One Day Be Published. And, if a reviewer were to describe my literary/cultural interests, it might sound something like this:

"If Frisky Dingo and Abel Nightroad curled up beneath a tree with John Keats and Percy Bysshe Shelley to speak in old English and Japanese while Master Shake analyzed the homoerotic content of the coupling and proceeded to write a queer theory analysis of it - well, that might sound a little bit like brandy's tastes."

Consider yourself warned.

Naturally then, my posts are liable to range anywhere from book reviews, to theoretical rants, to cooing adorations of poets who died long before I was born, to....well, Jason said it best: a grab bag, indeed.

And so, in parting, a brief summary of books I'm currently reading:
T.W. Adorno, Minima Moralia
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Paul Gravett, Manga: Sixty Years of Japanese Comics
Richard Altick, The English Common Reader

Chaos, ahoy!

- b -

No comments: