Friday, February 23, 2007

See This Movie or You Hate America. Communist.




Go see this movie or I’ll beat you with your own shoe:

* * *

Hopefully, I’ll come back with a couple new poetry journals tonight. Generally, the local independent bookstore, which is right beside the move theater, carries a good selection / variety of poetry journals, anywhere from Poetry to Rattle to Fulcurm to the Denver Quarterly. There’s only one local journal since Huntington is anti-literacy it seems. (Seriously, the news blurbs on the WSAZ website – our local TV station – must be written by middle-schoolers. They’re awful). Granted, the selection is always a bit light on the “experimental” side, but it’s the best place this side of Columbus or Cincinnati to buy your poetry in-store. Their actual selection of poetry books, however, leaves much to be desired. I’ve only bought Angle of Yaw from there; otherwise, it’s standard fare.

One thing you’ll notice is that I don’t subscribe to poetry publications as a general rule. For two reasons: A) I don’t mind paying a few extra bucks to support the publication, and B) I hate, hate, hate when I receive “special issues”. All fiction issues or issues devoted to one theme, one poet, etc. generally don’t flip my switch. So rather than take the chance of only receiving two or three good issues of a zine when I paid for four, I’ll buy / order them individually. Yes, this may make me narrow once again, but I have plenty of fiction I enjoy reading – and I do occasionally find a piece of fiction in journals that catches my eye – away from poetry. One man can only read so much.

* * *

I’ve been informed that Daya is a big Stanley Fish fan. Good thing I gave him a glowing review in a previous post. So let it be known that I was referring to fish sticks, not Stanley Fish. Haddock to be exact.

No comments: