Friday, May 11, 2007

If we’re stealing lines from Reno 911!, I must admit that I have an Oreo shaped hole in my heart at the moment. I remember bringing her home for the first time, a small ball of fur that easily fit into my palm, hissing the whole time. All paws and claws as they say. She did grow up to be planetary in size with a purr-box to match. Poop. B’s tribute is much more fitting, so read hers again. I just didn’t want to seem disingenuous by not addressing the event – I am a softy with most animals.

* * *

Last night, OTOH, I was terribly disingenuous at Buffalo Wild Wings, wherein I ordered a dozen “hot” wings for dinner. I made it through about eight before I finally admitted to B that my mouth was on fire. Yes, a total man moment, and I guarantee you that if I had been around several guy friends, I would have ate those dozen without a word.

Fittingly, the first thing I did when we arrived home was take a swig of Pepto. And another before bed. If I could buy stock in Pepto – just the delicious, chalky, pink drink – I would in a heartbeat. B and I tend to go through it.

* * *

I’ll finish Adorno’s Minima Moralia this weekend (I know, a reading speed record), but I’ve pretty much formed my opinions about the volume. I can do this since the volume’s style and content is pretty consistent. I was expecting something pretty brilliant, especially since it received top marks from B’s theory professor; however, I’m less than impressed, but I’m unsure if my reasons are valid.

First off, the book was written in the 1940’s. For most philosophical texts, this is an almost infinitesimal amount of time; however, when dealing with Marxism and aesthetics, the book is showing its age dramatically. The observations regarding societal trends have already come to full fruition, hence dulling Adorno’s barbs. While the undertone of his writing is critical of capitalism, he doesn’t do the best job at expressing his Marxist perspectives. Since we’re on the topic of aesthetics, his particular writing style seems to account for some of these problems: page after page of block paragraphs were all sorts of diverse topical matter mate and leave their spawn. So often, the material seems noticeably underdeveloped, and his closing summary remarks in each section concisely sum up the main points so well that one wonders why he took so long in getting to the end.

My other main quibble is his philosophy through example method. Sure, the numerous references to obscure works and authors is interesting and could prove fruitful in the future for reading material, but the underlying logic of his arguments necessarily suffers. Page after page of dry logical philosophy isn’t fun, but page after page of philosophy through example, while easy to read, doesn’t do much depth-wise for me. Nietzsche, whom Adorno frequently references, was much better at this type of balance. There’s something systematic about Nietzsche that just doesn’t manifest in Adorno.

Why am I so hesitant in simply stating that Minima Moralia is crap? As alluded to above, the topic matter lends itself to becoming outdated very quickly. Our hypercapitalist society has already proven his points over and over, and there’s no fun in reading a volume that’s self-evident from the start. He alludes to the “society of the spectacle” and the problems of mass culture throughout, but anyone who has read pomo work or took a moment to consider the implications of the media recognize the underpinnings of such thought. Considering these factors, I’m willing to cut the book some slack.

Another consideration is that, perhaps, the book can be read as almost prophetic. His societal observations were most certainly cutting-edge at the time, and many of his predictions have become commonplace. Undoubtedly, there’s much worth in being ahead of one’s time.

So, considering these factors and my erroneous expectations, I’m willing to say that, while Minima Moralia isn’t my favorite book, many of the reasons it fails may actually be strengths of Adorno himself. And b/c I’ve read many thinkers who have based their writing on the Frankfurt School and Adorno himself.

* * *

I think Kurt Vonnegut is next.

* * *

I just ordered two books on options trading since I only have a superficial knowledge of these financial instruments. I understanding buying / selling puts and calls, but I’m not strong on much else. I also ordered System Syn and FGFC820’s new albums. I’ll be buying Grendel’s newest when it hits in June.

* * *

My wit won’t come out today. I apologize for the dull post. For your pleasure (click for a larger view):

The wings returneth, and so shall I with time.
-j

No comments: