Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Avert Thine Eyes if a Sensitive Democrat

I’ve started Vonnegut’s essay collection Wampeters, Foma & Granfalloons, which, for better or worse, is my introduction to Vonnegut. My impression thus far: he’s unwaveringly sincere. I haven’t read enough to judge whether he’s pessimistic or realistic, but his tone and opinionated style will definitely keep me engaged.

His comments on science fiction are priceless – the genre that is every editor’s urinal, where most writers (as in every genre) produce crap, and where the readership accepts subpar writing for the sporadic brilliant moment. (The same goes with discovering authors.) But, like an Inuyasha or any other anime hero that is constantly bloodied, the authors keep writing despite the stigma associated with the genre. And he admires sci-fi writers for that.

Also, according to Vonnegut, if you reference technology in any capacity, you write sci-fi. Since I used a gramophone in one of my poems, I now deem myself the worst sci-fi poet ever. I now leave vacated the position of worst poet in general.

* * *

Minima Moralia, to its credit, did have some incisive observations on the female struggle – i.e. leaving one male dominated environment (the household) to another (the working world). He didn’t offer any particular clues as to how women can rescue themselves from this quandary other than, much like Derrida, “play” would seem to be important. I realize this isn’t revelatory, but for someone who reads virtually no fem theory (women in groups of one or more still scare me), I enjoyed the consideration.

His eerily accurate comments that positive amounts of freedom are directly correlated with the foundations of Fascism should be reproduced and stapled to telephone poles. I don’t necessarily believe that America’s fascist by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems like the government is increasingly keeping tabs on our freedom, which I believe is Adorno’s point. And, of course, fascist tendencies will inevitably have to evolve to fit the day and age.

His extended discussion of occultism seemed misplaced and poorly disguised. His aversion to the supernatural – whether as a mainstream religion or as niche voodoo god – was already clear, and the philosophical posturing exhibited was exactly what soured me on much of his writing. He couldn’t find a comfort zone between expressing himself in commonspeak (Camus) or philospeak (pomo); perhaps, more to the point, he couldn’t adapt his writing for the circumstance. Unlike Adornoa, Nietzsche was able to eschew pretence when required, but he could also get his hands dirty in the technical aspects of philosophy when necessary, and Adorno’s writing seems mired in limbo.

* * *

I’ve returned to Unreal Tournament 2004 recently, which is still a wonderful multiplayer game despite what its age may indicate, especially for those of us whose computer isn’t top-notch anymore. If anyone would like fragged online, you should email me.

* * *

The following pictures in no way indicate my position on Mr. Obama, Mrs. Clinton, or any other political candidate. The only candidate I find remotely interesting is Ron Paul, and he’d probably fail b/c no one from either party would work too closely with him. After all, who wants their supply of pork reduced? Certainly no one from my fair state of West-by-God-Virginia, where Mr. Robert Byrd, a.k.a. “Big Daddy,” has made a political career off of siphoning government money to the state in exchange for having his name on roads, college buildings, and probably some orifice of my body if I look closely enough.

Regardless, I hope you’re open minded and party dis-affiliated enough to get a laugh from these. I know Daya will be fine as long as I don't desecrate his savior, Al "I'm Riding Global Warming to the White House" Gore.





If this didn't make your day brighter, you're a Communist (or way-too sensitive of a Democrat).

I love you all.

-j

1 comment:

Rachel Mallino said...

hahahahaha. tshirt hell is great. I'm glad you're enjoying Vonnegut so far. I consider him a realist, but I know nothing of philosophical labels.