Friday, April 20, 2007

Stupid Hippies

Happy Earth Day!

Today, retarded hippies around the globe can celebrate all their brainless and uneconomical ideas to end world pollution. Related to this, one of B’s classmates, who Daya said should have been miscarried, sent around an email / petition stating that all coal mining should be halted. Granted, if we lived in a Utopia, we could all use our smiley face solar panels to capture the sun’s energy and power our Candyland-esque society. But this, sadly, is not the case. As soon as someone can explain to me we’ll replace all the jobs and energy created by the coal industry, I’ll listen. Because, unfortunately, even if we farm the entirety of North America, we’ll only meet 12% of our gasoline demand and 6% of our diesel demand. Hmmm, now hippies may not mind going without cars or other vital industries, but I’m partial to them (and bathing). And considering ethanol is questionably better pollution wise than fossil fuels – and this is REALLY questionable when considering clean coal – I just don’t buy the arguments of stupid hippies (and the Democrats who fall into that camp. As much as I like you, Mr. Gore, you’re wrong on quite a bit, not because you’re paid to be or anything).

Now, I’m not some cold-hearted capitalist – everyone who reads this blog should know better – but I don’t believe in wasting billions of dollars in subsidies on biofuels that won’t make a dent in our energy needs, can’t be competitive on their own, and/or don’t reduce GHG emissions by any great measure. Yes, the government has a moral obligation to support biofuels because of their potential environmental benefits as well as their ability to replace exhaustible resources, but ethanol and biodiesel probably aren’t the answers. Yes, there are biofuels under development that are far superior to ethanol and biodiesel, but don’t tell the farm lobby.

Geeze, look at what these Earth Day hippies cause me to write. And no apologies if you’re a hippie.

* * *

Acceptance from The Akros Review came in my inbox. Yay!

* * *

For the first weekend in awhile, most of my efforts will be going toward relaxation. I haven’t written a poem in almost two months, but I’m still holding out until all of my schoolwork is officially done. Probably sometime next week.

* * *

Not much else at the moment. More insight, wit, and overall genius later.

-j

3 comments:

Rachel Mallino said...

there are plenty of stupid hippies in C'ville. They love their prius'. My husband told me that the batteries in those things constantly need replaced and there's no way to get rid of the batteries in an 'earth friendly' way.

Anonymous said...

As an environmentally-conscious, Al Gore-worshipping, global-warming-fearing, vegan PETA Amnesty International fair trade-shelter grown motherfucking hippie, I hereby take official feigned umbrage. Bitch. ;)

...and I will also take a moment to say that the particular "classmate" in question should not only have been miscarried, but dragged half-formed from the womb before his woefully formed brain could cause any damage to the human race by sheer virtue of its presence.

Email coming later - I just got home. :)

Your local hippiecore slut,

Daya

Jason and Brandy said...

Rach,

Yes, the downside of clean fuel technology that isn't reported nearly enough. This is just a general observation with no statistical evidence whatsoever to back it up, but it sure seems like the lifetime costs of fossil fuels are reported; on the other hand, green fuels are often only examined at one point in time along the production / use cycle and not their entire existence. For example, while ethanol / biodiesel do reduce most green house gases (not NO2, I think), they increase the prevalence of pesticides in the ecosystem. I don't know where the balance is, but there's always a downside with any fuel.

Daya,

What can I say in response to hippiecore slut? I think you've labeled yourself nicely, though I know you're not wantonly uninformed enough to support environmental causes that aren't sound. And, please, don't say you worship Al Gore. Yes, I would consider voting for him just because he is paid to support many causes with which I happen to agree. However, he, like any other current politician, is not worthy of any worship, just less scorn.

Best,

-j