Sunday, September 9, 2007

Last Days of Weekend Freedom

One of my old haunts, Inside the Writer's Studio, appears to be getting an upgrade and face lift. If I'm to believe everything head taskmaster Rach is saying, it will be a completely private board: invitation only and (ideally) posts won't be Google-able. If so, I may re-associate myself with that motley crew. Since there's no local poetry scene, I'd be happy to participate in a closely-knit poetry group again. Hopefully the reasons I always leave -- familiar faces always depart, a poor level of criticism, etc -- will not be a factor this time around.

* * *

It's been slow with Psalms to No One Poems -- two acceptances and three / four rejections total. I've sent out a load of submissions within the past two months, so hopefully some good news will arrive soon. I'm especially interested in how these poems turn out since they did not receive any sort of critical eye other than my own and B's. In other words, no poetry boards like previously.

Now, this would seem to contradict my desire to rejoin an online poetry community. Not so. It would just give me additional confidence in my writing and in my ability to discern whether or not I should take the criticism offered. Plus, I like having a group of similar-minded friends and a foot inside the "poetry community." Whatever that is.

* * *

Starting Ian McEwan's Atonement tomorrow after finishing a book on options trading. And I also have a book, From Good to Great, to read for work sometime soon. Nothing better than a business book that says absolutely nothing new but claims to by virtue of metaphor. What a waste.

* * *

Every small press that publishes chapbooks seems to be closed for submissions and/or you have to know the editor in order to submit.

* * *

Hopefully I'll have time to blog some at work. It's been really slow as of late despite the market's death convulsions. Well, that's not how I view them, but my boss . . . that's another story.

-j

1 comment:

Rachel Mallino said...

J,

Were the posts on the old site google-able? I didn't know that they were but need to know so I can get hubby on the case and make sure that the new site will not have posts that pull up on search engines. Beyond that - we are completely private. There's not even a registration button after week one.