Wednesday, March 7, 2007

....the pain, the pain, the PAIN of being a college professor.

Today is the last day of classes this quarter at school and, as such, I am using today to conference with my students about their final research papers and their portfolios for the quarter.

A tour-de-force, no? This is the culmination of however-many-weeks of my teaching, exhortations, lessons, and activities. This is the time when they stand on the literary stage and make themselves known. This is the moment. This is the best they're going to be this quarter. I await genius.

....only to have one of my students wander in with a portfolio, one segment of which was to be full of freewrites (free writes) labeled: Free Wrights.

If a Romantic-scholar-cum-professor-cum-theorist cries when she is alone in her office and no one is there to hear it, does she really make a sound?

2 comments:

Bijoy said...

No she dosent.The the pain, the pain, the PAIN of being a college professor the article is good and you have very kewl blog keep in touch


regards Biby - Blog

Anonymous said...

...you completely made my day just now. Thank you. Thank you for giving me the strength to go on. I haven't yet had one of mine do something like that. But I do anticipate it in the hopes of getting off one more snarky comment before the quarter ends.

Also, I came across an article you might find helpful for your paper. It's Haraway and made me think of you. Sent it by email.

Cheers to the end of Politics and Aesthetics tonight, eh? :)

- Daya -